Maybe it would disturb the feng shui of your home or perhaps you simply prefer to use a portable lightweight alternative. Whatever the reason, the desktop seems to be becoming more and more redundant as time and technology go on. Surprised to hear this? Well seeing as 78% of all media is currently being consumed through mobile. Here are the stats you need to know about.

  • Compared to 71% in 2016, online consumption now stands at 78% and is continuing to grow according to Zenith
  • The first legendary shift was made between the year of 2012 and 2014. In 2012, desktop stood for 60% of the traffic while mobile only reached 40%. In 2014, the tables were turned and mobile had risen to 60%, leaving desktop at 40%.

Sound crazy? How much more can we possibly use our phones?

As a wise man (more specifically Jonathan Barnard at Zenith Media) once said, mobile internet figures are growing because it has turned what used to be non-online media activities – tv, radio, newspapers, talking to friends and family – to online media activities. People aren’t using their phones just for calling, texting, and emailing. They use them for navigating, using Spotify, playing Angry Birds and looking up store hours and taking selfies.

Don’t underestimate the power of the most visited cluster of apps either – the social media channels. Almost a fifth of all time spent on digital media is spent on our beloved social networks, the top platforms being Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Twitter.

Think about it, how much do you use your smartphone?

The key to understanding this shift can be as simple as analyzing your own online behavior. How often do you pick up your phone every day?

  • Research says you do it 76 times each day, using your smartphone for an average of 145 minutes.

In 2015, Google announced that more searches take place on mobile devices than on computers. They track this to what they call micro-moments – a short moment when someone turns to a device to act on a need: to know, go, do or buy. A lot of people all over the world having their first micro-moment of the day before even getting up from bed in the morning.

You’ve probably had some micro-moments yourself today, haven’t you? Don’t worry, it’s all part of the norm now.

How can marketing departments adjust?

Even though the negative trend of the desktop is steady, it’s going fairly slow. There are still specialized needs for having a desktop, especially when it comes to certain professions like editors and designers, and let’s not forget the ever-growing gamer world. So don’t move too fast, but do start preparing, remembering that those who work with a desktop all day still log out at some point and log into their mobile and tablets for the rest of their time.

One particular group to keep an eye on are the Millennials (those born between 1980 and 2000). A whopping 97% of them report that they use a mobile platform for digital content consumption. A fifth of them claim to be mobile-only users, not even owning a desktop device! Now, let’s just think about that for a while. This group will be profitable for a long time – if they’re not already your customers they probably will be. Including their behavior into your marketing strategy will be crucial.

Continue reading here to learn how you can market to Millennials.